Happy new year! Good to be back and blogging about everyday food again, rather than working out how much to bolus for an afternoon binge on Quality Street!
So here’s a recipe that I dished up for a Christmas holiday sleepover. It reminded me that the reality with T1D is that meals can’t (and shouldn’t) always be regimented with weighing and measuring, and very often it’s down to your best guess. With four almost-teenage mates around the table, leaping up like Labrador puppies to grab their food, are you seriously going to wait for your portion to be carb-counted? No way. It’s survival of the fittest, you fill your plate quickly and roughly tot up the carbs once the food’s safely in your mouth. And what good guesstimators our Type 1 kids turn out to be. While polishing off his second taco, my boy said: “What do you reckon Mum? 40 carbs?” Yep, that sounds about right. (Below you’ll see my calculation – pretty close eh?!)
Ingredients (serves 6):
- Four large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons chipotle paste
- 250ml passata
- 75g barbecue sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 avocado, roughly mashed
- juice of 1-2 limes
- 1 x 400g can of black beans
- 200g basmati rice (uncooked weight)
- 3 little gem lettuces, shredded
- 12 taco shells
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Slash the chicken breasts and rub with 1 teaspoon of the chipotle paste. Mix the remaining chipotle paste with the passata, barbecue sauce, 100ml water and half the onion. Spoon the sauce into a roasting tin and add the chicken breasts. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 mins-1 hr, then uncover, increase the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and bake for another 10-20 mins.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the pack instructions. When cooked, fluff with a fork and keep warm.
- Make a rough guacamole by mixing the avocado with half the onion, the lime juice and a little salt, and leave in a bowl to serve.
- When the chicken is really tender, shred the meat into the sauce. Keep covered with the foil while you heat the beans for around 5-10 mins until piping hot, and warm the tacos following pack instructions.
- Allow everyone to fill their own tacos: a couple of spoonfuls of rice, a dollop of black beans, plenty of chicken and as much lettuce and guacamole as they like.
Per 2 x tacos: 36g carbs (breakdown as follows)
- 2 tblsp cooked basmati rice (approx 35g): 10g carbs
- 2 tblsp black beans (approx 30g): 5g carbs
- 3-4 tblsp chicken: 5g carbs
- 2 taco shells: 16g carbs