“What’s for dinner?”
“Chicken? Why do we always have chicken? We eat chicken all the time! Why can’t we have proper lasagne? I’m going to have toast. I’m starving but I’d rather have toast.”
Top marks if you can see where this conversation is heading. Biting my tongue, I pass the glucose monitor as the rage carries on, accompanied with the clammy look and shaky fingers. Here we go. blood sugar of 3.2. Shovelling jelly babies into his mouth, the fury subsides and the colour slowly starts to return to his cheeks. I give it a couple more minutes.
“Shall I pop some toast in for you, or do you want to give this a try?”
He mumbles, “It’s OK, I’ll have the lasagne.” It’s wolfed down with the ravenous pace that often follows a hypo.
“It’s nice. I like the pesto bit. And the chicken’s good too,” he concedes. “I’m sorry, Mum.”
My darling, you never have to be sorry for a hypo.
Ingredients: (serves 6)
250g frozen chopped spinach
250g pot of ricotta
A couple of tablespoons of green basil pesto
350g chicken breast fillets
9 sheets of dried lasagne
500g passata, with onion & garlic
125g grated lighter mozzarella
25g grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan), drizzle the chicken with a little rapeseed oil and roast for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through.
- While the chicken’s cooking, microwave the spinach according to the pack instructions (about 4 minutes).
- Mix the pot of ricotta with the cooked spinach and the pesto.
- Scatter half of the cooked chicken over the base of a lasagne dish, top with half of the spinach, ricotta and pesto mixture, then layer with 3 sheets of lasagne.
- Pour over a third of the passata and a third of the mozzarella, then add the rest of the chicken and the spinach, ricotta and pesto mixture. Layer another 3 sheets of lasagne on top.
- Pour over another third of the passata, another 3 sheets of lasagne, and another handful of mozzarella.
- Top with the last of the passata and mozzarella and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes until the lasagne is cooked through and it’s crispy on top.
48g carbs per portion